Pools & Spas
Public swimming pools, spas and special-use pools are regulated under the authority of Chapter 3749 of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) and Chapter 3701-31 of the Ohio Administrative Code (OAC).
These rules were created to establish minimum standards for the operation and maintenance of these facilities in order to protect the community from injury, minimize the potential for disease transmission, and provide a safe and healthy aquatic recreational environment. These rules do not pertain to private residential pools.
What is a Public Swimming Pool?
Collectively, a public swimming pool is any:
- Public Swimming Pool
- Public Spa
- Special Use Pool
- Wading Pool
- Spray Ground
Our inspectors will routinely inspect every public swimming pool (while open to the public) paying particular attention to water quality, maintenance of filtration and circulation equipment, safety equipment, record-keeping, and the maintenance of the overall facility.
Residents who own a pool and wish to view information on pool safety for consumers can find helpful information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
What is Legionella?
Legionella is a bacteria which occurs in water naturally. Hot tubs, spas, fountains, cooling towers, and plumbing systems are examples of where legionella can be found. Legionella can cause a lung infection called Legionaires’ Disease, which is similar to pneumonia.
The high-water temperature of hot tubs makes it difficult to maintain the proper levels of disinfectant.
Environmental Health Division
71 South Washington Street
Tiffin, OH 44883
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
(419) 447-3691 ext. 6321
- Ohio Department of Health Pool Information
- Ohio Administrative Code Chapter 3701-31 Public Swimming Pool, Spa, and Special Use Pool Rules
- Ohio Revised Code Chapter 3749 Swimming Pools
- Fecal Incident Response Recommendations
- Weekly Pool Operation and Incident Report
- Public Swimming Pool Inspection Reports
- Hot Tubs/Spas & Legionella Facts (CDC)
- Disinfection of Hot Tubs with Legionella
- Cryptosporidium (Crypto) Information CDC